Friday, April 12, 2013

Lamingtons

Easy Lamingtons

I saw a picture of Lamington's on Pinterest a while ago and I thought they were just so pretty.
Of course until then I had never heard of them but I have learned that they are an Australian treat. I'm going to keep my post really simple and tell you that I often will find a recipe and look for ways to make it work within my budget or amount of time I can put in between homeschooling five boys and the rest of life as it happens.

So here goes. I skipped making the cake from scratch entirely and made a boxed cake.
When it's cool wrap it and freeze it overnight. The next day trim off all the "crust" so you have a perfect soft yellow cake. Now cut it into cubes. It's so much easier working from frozen so when you are done again put them back in the freezer.

Now is when I really strayed. I tried to make a lemon glaze but it just wasn't working for me. Better luck to you if you would like to go that route. It was very simple; heat 1/2c water with 2TBS light corn syrup and 2 TBS fresh lemon juice and then mix with 7 1/2 cups of icing sugar. As I said, I did not like the way this was working for me so here's what I ended up doing.

Set up your double boiler and put half a can of ready made frosting in the top pot to warm. Add food colouring of your choice. When it's quite runny skewer a frozen cake cube and drizzle the melted frosting over it to coat and then in a separate bowl coat the frosted cube with shredded coconut. Put it on the cooling rack to harden and then I put mine back in the freezer until I needed them. I made four batches of colours. 

Easy , eh ? I hope they will be a big hit, I think they are so pretty I photographed them with the Gerbera Daisies my sons bought me just because it made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment